Sunday, March 8, 2009

Developing genuine relationships key part of recruiter's success

Interesting story in the Reno paper today that sheds some light on the college football recruiting process.

According to the article, 51-year-old Nevada assistant Barry Sacks, is a "prototypical recruiter" as he's blessed with "equal parts integrity, optimist and loyalist infused with boundless energy."

Coach Sacks, who recruits Northern California, is known for his honesty, which has helped him earn the respect of high school coaches and parents.

In the words of one father whose son signed with the Wolfpack, "I really believe he loves the kids and their families. That sets him apart."

Says another: "He's very positive and truthful about what's going on. He was here for seven or eight hours, had dinner with us. My family liked him. My girls liked him. Not everyone is as truthful as they should be. Barry was a straight shooter from the beginning. Everybody's nice because they want something. It's like going to a used-car salesman. They're on you all the time. Barry's not like that. There were not a lot of empty promises. I respect him for that. When he talks to you he talks from the heart."

As for Coach Sacks, he says the best part of recruiting the same area over a number of years is getting to know the people from that region.

"You develop a lot of relationships with young men that you bring to your university and their families," Coach Sacks said. "I love those things about it. And I love the coaches in my area. I don't ever want to give my area up. My personality comes out in recruiting as far as always getting to know the family and the friends. So you get to know and have a personal relationship with as many of those people as you can. And I want them to get to know me and know our football program and what I believe our football program is."