Sunday, January 4, 2009

This is a humbling game

D-League coach Scott Roth, a member of the first MIN team in 1989, on why he left the NBA after 10 years of working as scout and assistant coach to take over as head coach of a 3-18 minor league team:

"When I took this job, 90 percent of the people in the NBA thought I was crazy. For me, it's always been about the journey, not the destination.

This is a humbling game and a humbling league. This is the toughest league in the world. I think the journey is well worth it. I'm basically a product of the old CBA. I know what it takes to get out of here. I've been through the rigors. I feel I can pass those experiences on to these players.

When everyone was wondering why I'd go to worst possible team ever assembled, but for me it was a blank canvas. Something to put my fingerprint on and see if I knew what I was doing.

The next time I get on an NBA bench, I'll know what that seat just 18 inches down feels like. Don Nelson always said move 18 inches over and it gets a lot hotter. The next time, I'll be a better assistant because I'll know what the head coach is going through."