Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tell me I can't do something, I'll show you that I can

Bill Cowher guided PIT to a Super Bowl in 2005. Tomorrow, he'll watch as his successor, Mike Tomlin, tries to do the same.

In the Wall Street Journal today, Coach Cowher talked about mental toughness and what motivates him:

"In hard times the greatest motivation you want to hear is: Tell me I can't do something, I'll show you that I can. To me sports is about mental toughness. When you take a mentally tough individual, someone who is not gonna be deterred by getting knocked down and not gonna be thinking they can walk on water when they have success, that's to me someone who's tough, mentally tough. I want my kids to be able to do that because I think it carries over in life."

[Thanks, Brian, for passing this along!]