Monday, January 12, 2009

How a player's conditioning affects his playing time

In Charlotte, Larry Brown and Bobcats managing partner Michael Jordan have told Sean May (shown here with MJ), who's had multiple knee surgeries the last couple of years, that until he "weighs 260 pounds, he's not playing basketball for the Charlotte Bobcats. It's that simple and that non-negotiable."

“MJ and Larry expressed to me that this is for my own good – for my longevity,” May said. “Coach Brown is really old-school and really cut-and-dry. This is tough love-type stuff. Now I understand it, and I just want to play. I haven't been 260 since I left (North) Carolina. But if that's what they want, that's what they want. Coach Brown has been upset with me because I've plateaued for a while at 270.”

According to Coach Brown, as soon as May “achieves that (weight) goal, he'll be part of the rotation.”